Good morning!


I have no idea how you stumbled upon this blog, but welcome. I will try to not waste your time, but I offer no guarantees. My name is Mike Donaldson, and I am a woodworker. There, I said it.


My Dad was a real woodworker, and he actually knew what he was doing, so much so that when he passed away in 2011, he still had all of his fingers. After he passed away, I purchased most of his tools from my mother and started working wood


I really don't like power tools. First off, power tools scare the poop out of me. I am pretty sure my table saw is trying to kill me; it has eaten a few of my projects and thrown some wood at me, hitting me a few times. My planer has done that, too. I'm pretty sure it's a conspiracy.


Secondly, I love the calm and the quiet of working by hand; using all of your senses (except taste, wood looks and smells good, but doesn't taste so great).


So there you have it. I now (almost) use hand tools exclusively, and really enjoy it. As you read on I will show you some of my projects, and some of how I did it. So sit back, take your shoes off, put your pants back on, and enjoy the blog.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Thank You to a Very Kind Man.

At the onset of my venture into woodworking, I have relied heavily on the wonderful people at WoodCentral.com.  This is, by far, the best woodworking forum on the internet.  There is an actual community, and just genuinely good people.  Although I owe thanks to a lot of people, recently Wiley Horne has delivered my daughter Emry (the one of my four girls who is interested in woodworking) and I an unbelievable act of kindness.

A few weeks ago, Wiley contacted me and asked if I had any need of a Stanley 45 or a cutting gauge.  I have actually been looking at getting my hands on both for some time now, so I asked him how much he wanted for them.  He responded that he wanted to give them to us.  Tonight, the box arrived, and Emry, Tave and I opened it.  I had Dash, my 16 year old, photograph it.  This is what was in the box:






I really need to lay off the cookies.  That belly is getting quite rotund.  In nautical terms, I am growing a bulbous bow.  

In total, Wiley sent us the Stanley 45, 23 cutters for it, a morticing gauge, a cutting gauge, a ten inch brace and an eight inch brace.  They are all beautiful tools, and I can't say enough how appreciative we are for them.  The only way I know to repay Wiley is to promise him that these tools will be loved and used for generations to come.  Thank you, my friend, thank you.  

While Dash was photographing us opening the box, she took this gem of a self portrait as a joke.  The least I could do to reward her magnificent sense of humor is to immortalize her joke on the internet.  Bon Appetit!  





No comments:

Post a Comment